Sunday, December 03, 2006

Digital Scrapbooking- my latest passion























It was about this time last year that I had a conversation with my friend Gabbie(otherwise known as "designmom" in the blogger world) and she, being a graphic designer, mentioned that if a person could get a good handle on a program like "Photoshop" they could do some really fun things with scrapbooking and never have to cut a single piece of paper or get stuck in a gluey mess of notions and what not.

This really intrigued me. I really enjoy scrapbooking but ever since we added more than one child to our brood I have found it quite a challenge to get any done. In fact, it seems near impossible now that we have three kids. There is too much non-kid-friendly stuff involved, like pens, glue and scissors, and by the time I get it all out and set up for some creative work, my time is up and I need to start packing it all up again.

Anyway, to make a long story short I have been playing with this digital idea off and on all year. It is so fun! I don't think I can ever go back to the paper stuff. It is so easy to work on a page for a few minutes here and there. It's always ready and waiting for you at the computer table and there is never a mess to clean up. I am slowly learning more and more tricks in Photoshop Elements. (I recommend the program to everyone.) Fun! Fun! Fun!. The options are endless. Thank you Gabbie for inspiring me! I finished this page of my daughter Laura today. It was so easy! Here are some websites to check out if you want to see some much better and more inspirational ideas:( I finally learned how to put in a link- I'm very proud!)
http://www.scrapgirls.com/
http://www.shabbyprincess.com/
http://sweetshoppedesigns.com/

9 comments:

lisapow said...

I like it! I have the same pictures from one of the "freebie" websites. I have learned something about printing these things. Leave 1/8th around your paper for "bleeding" All photo places will cut out your words, embelishments, borders around the edges. Are you doing the 8x8 pages? I like them but I have learned the pictures will be small if you have more than 2 photos on it. It is so fun! I am totally addicted - my trial is up on photoshop this week - so looks like I will need to make the purchase.

Ben and Laura said...

Love it Amanda! I've been a die hard paper scrapper for years, but got Photoshop for Christmas last year. I have yet to make a digital page. I have the desire, I just can't figure out how to do it! I need to take a class!
Anyways, love your page!

Namona said...

I found your blog through Design Mom. I've been wondering about Photoshop, because, like you, the 3 kids are throwing off any chance of cutting and pasting. Could you please tell me where to purchase it? Is it something I download or do I buy it at Staples or something? Sorry to be so clueless. Thanks!

Amanda said...

You can get a free 30 day trial of Photoshop Elements from the Adobe website, but it doesn't come with instructions for how to use it to scrapbook. There is a great tutorial on www.scrapgirls.com that I purchased and it teaches you everything you need to know. Check it out! Also- when you are ready to buy the program Cosco sells it a lot cheaper!

Kendra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kendra said...

Thanks! I'll try it out.

Kendra said...

P.S. I'm the one who asked the above question - don't know why it's changing my name! Sorry!

Dawn said...

Hi Amanda,
Ashley showed me the cute Christmas card you sent her, which called my attention to your blog. As you can see, I was curious.... I find we have a couple of things in common, besides both having lived in Villa Park for a number of years. I, too, am an avid digital scrapbooker (just downloaded the latest version of Adobe Elements, in fact), and I'm also a Jane-ite--have been since college. (Ashley and I got "I Love Mr. Darcy" sweatshirts for Christmas.) I'm impressed with your blog and amazed you find the time to do all you're doing. You've now got me thinking of doing a blog of my own. I have a website at www.MemoirMentor.net, but I can see how a blog would be a good way to communicate with my students. My best to you and your little ones. Am I the oldest respondant you've had?
Dawn

Design Mom said...

Love the design, Amanda. Nice.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails