Monday, January 08, 2007

Cheerfulness

My brother-in-law Rhett, wakes up every morning and proclaims to the world around him,"This is going to be a great day! I'm so grateful to be a part of this day." I learned this bit of info from his wife( my sister) last week who says their 3-yr-old now wakes up in the morning announcing what a great day it is. That very same day, after talking with my sister, I received an e-mail newsletter from Scrapgirls.com in which the editor shared a quote:

"Cheerfulness is the best promoter of health and is as friendly to the mind as to the body."
-James Addison

Now most of my family members know that I can be a stress-case about disease and healthful living. I have spent various eras of my life experimenting with different tools of "sickness-prevention." (currently I am a firm believer in drinking a nice cup of "Night-Time Airborne" every evening before bed. - I am also a firm believer in the placebo effect!) But, according to Mr. Addison, "cheerfulness" is the best concoction for me. (I've read numerous articles sharing the same type of info but it is hard to remember when you're sweeping the kitchen floor for the tenth time that day!)

Anyway, I'm sharing this because it seems the cosmos are sending me a message that they want me to be more cheerful -and I've decided that they are right. What a great way to live one's life! Sure it's not always easy, but I need to put a lid on all my whining and choose to be happier. So I am endeavoring to try.

I've been experimenting this week. For two days I have woken up and said, "This is going to be a great day. I am so grateful to be a part of this day,"( this is my new mantra-thanks Rhett) and so far it's working really well. The dishes aren't done, I have a mountain of laundry to do, grocery shopping and numerous other yucky things on my agenda- but I'm feeling pretty happy about it all.

I've decided happiness is my choice- and from now on I am going to choose it. After all I have a lot to be happy about, and if my kids don't learn how to be grateful and upbeat from me, who will they learn it from?

8 comments:

Denise said...

My first thought: What a great post! I could not agree more. Being positive can make all the difference.
My second thought: There's no way you are pregnant. I cannot think of a time when cheerfulness could be more helpful and yet more elusive. :-)

lisapow said...

Amanda's pregnant???

Denise said...

NO...DO NOT misunderstand my comment. I'm just saying no pregnant girl puts up a post like this. Let's not get some sort of freakish gossip going here! Arrgh...Sorry.

lisapow said...

Yep....say the word pregnant or pregnancy or anything related --- I will jump to conclusions!!! Sorry Amanda - I hope Stanton didn't read your comments and think there was something he didn't know.

Amanda said...

not to worry. Stanton doesn't read the blog. I'm always telling him if he would he might understand me better- but to no avail.

lisapow said...

Amanda - you should photoshop a picture of Stanton in "fancy pants" and post it -then see if he ever says anything.

Denise said...

I'd like to see Amanda get Stanton into a pair of fancy pants. Video of that type of epic struggle would be worth a large sum...

Mo said...

Congratulations Amanada, when are you due?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails