Thursday, January 25, 2007

Primary works-especially with death threats!!

This last Sunday over dinner we asked the kids the usual post church question, "What was the lesson about in your Primary class today." Both our boys answered that their teacher's had talked about the commandment to "Honor thy Mother and Father." Great! Stanton and I jumped at the chance to have a lively discussion over that delightful topic. -(I am always up for being honored more. ) Well, as the discussion continued on, Tustin pointed out that he also learned the blessing that goes along with keeping this commandment, "That thy days may be long upon the earth," and since he wants to "live a really long life and not die by a sword or something," he is going to always obey me. I'm not sure where he got the dying by a sword part, but I feel pretty good about his decision to always obey me. (It's the control-freak I harbor inside me.)

Later, as we drove down the street and noticed some lovely road kill, Stanton pointed out that the animal had died because he didn't obey his mother. I'm not sure the kids get their Father's sarcasm quite yet because I think they truly believed him. Just to prove my point- the next day when I asked them to clean the mess in the basement they immediately dropped what they were playing with and obeyed me!!! (Just so you know- that is HIGHLY unusual.) My first impulse was to congratulate myself on being such a great mother. All my nagging and lecturing was finally paying off, and then I remembered their Sunday lessons, and I think they just really value their mortal lives.

Here's the clincher though: Today, four days later, I asked them again to clean up their mess in the basement, and guess what? There was no whining, complaining, moaning, gnashing of teeth or anything of the sort. They happily and immediately obeyed. Amazing!

Primary (and violent swords) do wonders when raising children. I can't wait for next weeks lesson....

3 comments:

Jenn Stanworth said...

hillarious! I think the idea of becoming roadkill would be motivation for me to clean up my toys too!

Jenni said...

if only my kids were so sweet and innocent to believe...

Denise said...

Threats? I'm not sure what you did to Rachel, Amanda -- but that kid came right home from church last Sunday, demanded we log her on to lds.org and proceeded to practice singing the 2 new songs you taught them for the next 3 hours. Daniel was ready to kill her! I thought she was totally cute. You must have said something...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails