Thursday, February 08, 2007

Broccoli anyone?

My two-year-old Laura has been walking around all week talking about broccoli. Mind you I happen to love the vegetable, especially now that I cook it this way, which I learned from my friend's blog.( Shout out to you Jenni!) Still, I found it very unusual that my daughter seemed to have such an obsession, and yet all day long it's been broccoli this and broccoli that.

I've gone about the last week feeling pretty smug. I mean c'mon, I had done the unthinkable and managed to cultivate a child that appreciated the dark green things in life. Boy, was her colon going to thank me! But, as we all know, "pride goeth before the fall" and my "fall" came when I happened to be using a glitter marker and Laura squealed with delight as she reached for it- "Broccoli!"

And then I realized the truth- "broccoli " is not a nutritious vegetable to my daughter and she does not love it. "Broccoli," means "sparkly," and that, my friends, she does love very much. Now that I get it I know that she wants sparkly clothes, sparkly shoes, sparkly paper, pens, bowls, cups, jewelry, and whatever else she can get her hands on.

This leads me to a great idea and a big concern. First, for my idea: I have decided to "bedazzle" any and all of my clothing creations for her which, in turn, should make her passionately love them and want to where them everyday! As of now she does not and our battle continues. (see previous post here) Second, for my concern: My daughter does not have very much hair and what she does have is patchy, thin, wispy and often very un-cute. Stanton, her loving Father, keeps telling me that I should shave it because, in his words- "She looks like Gollum from Lord of the Rings." Now that she is obsessed with sparkly things, I'm just waiting for the day when she gives him more fuel by stroking her sparkly clothing while muttering, "My precious...my precious." I can't win!

6 comments:

Jenni said...

that is good, leave it to stanton to call his daughter gollum!

mae544 said...

Laura is darling and I think that bedazzling her clothing is a very good idea. My sister called yesterday to tell me that she just spent two hours at the doctor having a pink "brocolli" gem, roto-rooted out of her daughter's ear. She said it was a lot of fun and everyone should do it.

Amanda said...

So I guess I need to make sure mine our very large broccoli gems. No, wait- that would make them a choking hazard, and I'd rather have hearing loss than death! Too funny!

Mo said...

Post of the year Amanda. I almost wet my pants.

Mo said...

On another note, you could also bedazzle her head, there by solving the hair problem.

Amanda said...

hmmm....something to consider I guess.But then I'm sure Stanton would start calling her a disco ball or something. A Father's love is unconditional...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails