Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Finally- a trip for the BIG KIDS!

Stanton and I have been married for eleven years and we finally took a trip without the kids. I'm not sure why it took us so long -being that we actually do enjoy one another's company. I think we are just bad at planning things and following through. (maybe we're just boring home-bodies- and I do have to say that leaving ones kids takes an enormous amount of planning. The good news is that because of this trip we finally have our papers -such as our living wills and trusts for the kids in order which is a major load off my back. I've been stressing over that for years).
Anyway, we're changing our ways. We ditched our brood with my sister( Shout out to you Wendy. You are the best and I will be forever grateful to you.) and went off to explore the UK. It was so much fun and I'm already trying to figure out how soon we can go back. We went with some of our good friends,( shout out to the Powells, LaBelles and Schmidts!) and enjoyed ourselves immensely as we explored castles, monuments, and gorgeous countryside. (The men would want me to clarify that this was an "official golfing trip" to the birthplace/Holy Land of golf- and that they were just being nice and letting the women tag along. Whatever.
Day 1( April 28th)- We explored Edinburgh, Scotland. The Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace were amazing with some beautiful views. We walked the Royal Mile- great fun! Stanton was hissed at and called a "Spaniard" at the local Soccer game/"football pitch. Definitely the days highlight for him!

Stanton and the views of Edinburgh from the castle.

View of Edinburgh castle with my pathetic attempt at the "balance beam."

It took a lot of peer pressure, and begging from me, for Stanton to take these pictures. (But once he saw the "Braveheart" ensemble and assortment of weapons he was more than happy to play dress-up!) I love them!

Day 2(April 29th)- After taking the red bus tour around Edinburgh we traveled to St. Andrews where the men stressed out over their upcoming golf game. I'm not sure any of them slept that night.

Day 3 (April 30th) The men golfed two rounds, while the women explored Stirling castle, the William Wallace Monument, and enjoyed frolicking in the Trossachs with the fairies.(my personal favorite.)

Her majesties- Princesses Amanda and Marianne

Amanda, Lisa, and the views from the top of the William Wallace Monument-pictures do not do it justice.

Day 4( May 1st) The men golfed again, while the women explored the castle and cathedral ruins at St. Andrews. Then Stanton and I left the group and traveled to London.Me atop the tower at the St. Andrews Cathedral


Day 5( May 2nd) Stanton and I took the red bus tour and enjoyed all the major sites of London. Then we finished the day off by riding the London "eye" ( a huge ferris wheel with views of the city) and taking in an Alfred Hitchcock play. London is great. Someday I want to return so I have time to go to the Shakespeare Theatre.

On the red bus!

Stanton at the Tower of London

Me and Buckingham Palace

Day 6( May 3) We saw a few more sites in London. I particularly LOVE "Harrods" department store. Then we flew home- to real life.

All in all it was an amazing trip.- and of course, my kids were much cuter upon my return than when we left them. (Funny how that happens.) I recommend Scotland to anyone considering it. I can't wait to go back. Hopefully it won't be another eleven years before our next trip!

6 comments:

jenafeldman said...

What a great trip!! Love your "balancing" act...

The Wright Family said...

How fun!!! I'm jealous ...I still haven't been over that way yet!!

Lindsay said...

Well, its good to know that while you were missing in action on the blog, you were off doing fun and fabulous things in the world. Isn't it great to get away?!

Jenni said...

I hope the dress up photo is going to be a Christmas Card highlight this year, love it!

daniel said...

thanks for clarifying that stanton was "more than happy to play dress-up". this will help resolve an issue currently circulating via email.

kristi brooke said...

oooh what a wonderful trip!

me and the girls are getting our passports this morning and plan to go to Germany this summer. i love seeing others exciting travels.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails