Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The very best Jane Eyre!!

I've always been a hopeless romantic. I love to read books and watch "chick-flicks" where true love conquers all. I like to be swept away from reality into a blissful world of dynamic characters who overcome all adversity for their one true love. (As a quick side note, I must say that a happy ending is a must for me. It really bugs me when a writer decides to kill off the main character or leave the story with a thoroughly depressing conclusion. What is with that? I think some of them feel they are a "deeper" more superior artist for having done so. I for one do not wish to pay $10 to see a film, or even more to purchase a book, that will leave me totally depressed. Real life offers way too much of it's own discouragement. I do not care to get high doses of it from the make-believe world as well!.......... Phew!!... I feel much better for having gotten that off my chest!)
The reason I bring this subject up is because I recently viewed, for the third time, the Masterpiece Theatre version of Jane Eyre( released in Feb 07). I've seen a few film versions of Jane Eyre in my life, none of which were able to move me the way this one does. In fact, just thinking about it makes my heart go all a flutter! It is a must see for anyone who loves a little romance, and mystery all wrapped up in one! I think it is exceptionally well casted and performed.
When it first aired on PBS this last February I asked my new best friend, named TIVO, to record it for me and even though it did a fine and dandy job of it, I still felt the need to have my own hard copy. I was finally able to find the 2-disc set, to have and to hold as my very own, a few weeks ago. I have a feeling it will be much like "Pride and Prejudice" for me in that I can watch it over and over again, never getting bored, and each time discovering something new and wonderful about it. (quick side note, when I mention Pride and Prejudice I am referring ONLY to the BBC version starring Colin Firth. Nothing else can compare-- except, of course, for the actual written word by Jane Austen herself- and even that is much enhanced when visualizing Colin Firth!
If you have yet to see this film- what are you waiting for? Check your library and your local bookstore! If any local NY friends need to borrow it they are welcome!

5 comments:

Ben and Laura said...

Ooooh! Thanks for the recommendation! I'm always looking for a good movie!
Netflix, here I come.

FancyPantsMom said...

just make sure that you get the 2007 masterpiece theater version. So far, I haven't seen it at any video rental locals.

pat said...

Amanda--I'm Laura's mom, and I have to say "Amen to the sister!" I LOVE the 2007 version of "Jane Eyre". Thank goodness for TIVO--if I had videotaped it (a thing of the past) it would be worn out. I understand about P&P ONLY the CF version!), and this as a fine companion piece. Perfect for those long chick-flick weekends... It was wonderful--dark, broody, mysterious, and reeeking with romance, letting you see just WHY Jane and Rochester were such a perfect fit.

Ben and Laura said...

Oh my...did my mom really say "amen to the sister"??? What is this world coming to?!

Denise said...

May I please be first in line to borrow? I am very careful with other people's things and I promise to return it in perfect condition...but I must see it! Marianne raves about it too...please...please?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails