Thursday, November 15, 2007

Fruitless Bribes!

( The look of a girl who could not be more pleased with herself.)

This is the main conversation in my house these days:

Me: Laura, Do you want to use the potty?
Laura: No
Me: Why do you want to go in your diapers?
Laura: I just like to.
Me: Let's be a big girl and go on the potty!
Laura: I AM a big girl. And I don't want to use the potty.

I've given up. My child must actually enjoy her smelly self, because she couldn't care less about sitting on any porcelain throne around here. I, on the other hand, am very sick of dealing with her wonderful "gifts." I've tried all the tricks and incentives that eventually, after weeks of sweat and tears, worked for my boys --to no avail.

Everyone told me that potty training a girl would be "so much easier" and that she would probably even start the process BEFORE she turned three. I was really looking forward to the "walk in the park" I was promised- just by giving birth to a female. Boy was I fooled.

My own daughter has swindled me out of toys, stickers and candy. She'll do what I want to get her reward. Then as soon as she's got her mother's praise and gifts, she returns to her old smelly ways- and she's pretty smug about it too!

So, I'm taking the hands off approach and have delegated this responsibility to her older brother. He's spent the last 5 minutes or so reminding her how sad Cinderella will be if the flowers on her Pull-Up get wet. Now, she looks up at me with her big blue eyes and says, "Mom, we don't go on Cinderella's flowers, we go on the potty!"

Whatever honey! Talk is cheap- and I've heard it all before. I am immune to your charm! The sticker/candy/toy bank is closed until I get some action around here.

4 comments:

jenafeldman said...

that is so funny! (not to you i am sure!) I will not give any advice...she obviously knows what to do it will be interesting to see when she will do it! good luck!

anne said...

sy was the same way---he is just one of those kids with the "i will do it when i decide to do it" personalities. the good thing was that once he decided he wanted to
(he was a few months older than 3)we never had an accident so that is a plus. good luck

Danika said...

Trust me, I feel your pain...we are potty-training Tyler right now! He's only 2 1/2, but I'm tired (and our bank account is tired) of 2 kids in diapers! I have decided to let him go "no-pants" around the house because Pull-ups are even more expensive and don't seem to work for my kids. But if I have to clean poop off of one more surface in my house, I'm going to scream! Good thing I have a carpet cleaning machine...it was the best $100 I've ever spent.

holly said...

Ugh--good luck to you. Potty training is painful whenever it happens. I loathe it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails