Tuesday, November 27, 2007

No More Christmas Crazies!


This is the year! The year that I will get all my shopping done early. The year that I will be so relaxed and carefree that I'll have all the time I desire to revel in the holiday season with my family. We are going to bake and sing. We are going to read scriptures and stories about the True meaning of Christmas and we will do random acts of service for each other and our fellow man!

This is the year........I hope.

This is my plan every year. Most of the time I fail miserably, (my procrastinating nature sneaks up me no matter how hard I try to check off my lists in an orderly fashion and I end up a stressed-out freak!). But not this year! I am feeling positive. I'm feeling upbeat. I'm feeling ready to tackle projects-- And that, my friends, is what every mom needs to survive the Holidays and come out with any sense of "peace on earth and goodwill towards men." (especially when that Mom is also in charge of her ward's Christmas party. Lucky me!!)

This year I have a game plan for joyful Christmas success:

Number 1- Unlike most years, this season I have forgone almost all homemade gifts. Most of my relatives already have a quilt or purse or something "Amanda-esque" to call their own, so I figure they shouldn't be too disappointed if their gifts are lovingly handmade in China this year. There will be no late nights at the sewing machine for me. I am happily going to purchase gifts and try not to feel too guilty about it.

Number 2- I am doing all the before mentioned purchases online, thus avoiding crowds and the lengthy amount of time it takes me to get anywhere around here. (If you have any unusual online stores that you frequent for great gifts- I would love to hear about them.)

Number 3- We have in acted a new policy in our home. This year we can only talk about what we want to give others. No more long lists for Santa, constant drooling over catalogs, and the incessant "Mom, I want...." and so ons.

And last, I am reducing quantity. Each of my kids will be the lucky recipient of just a few gifts- instead of the endless pile of things they will soon forget about anyway. In addition, I have told my children that they can only make each other presents this year. (I figure my "no-homemade" presents rule does not need to extend to them) I was surprised by their enthusiasm. In fact, they could hardly wait to get started. Last night was a creation extravaganza with tin-foil, paper, glue and tape. Tustin couldn't wait to give me my present so now I am the proud owner of a lovely new tin-foil hair bow.

I will wear it proudly as I shop in my pajamas!

Good luck to all on your own "Christmas To-Do lists." May the Crazies pass over your house and leave you with the joy and peace this season should bring!

8 comments:

KreativeMix said...

LOL!!!! I agree with you!!! I was going to have a "hand-made gift frenzy" but i'm leaning closer to Taiwan :-)

holly said...

Ha ha ha. I miss you.

Lindsay said...

Love the bow. You look BEE-U-TEE-FUL!

I have grand ambitions to be done early this year too. With Dave gone however, I'm not sure that will happen. I'm with you on the online shopping. I wonder if I could do ALL of my shopping without leaving the house.

I like the idea of the kids making gifts for each other but mine are still a bit too young I think.

Anne said...

good luck dodging the crazies! i have been an internet shopper for quite a few christmases now and i highly recommend it. you can even have the items gift wrapped and shipped right to the recipient and bypass the post office freak show as well. some of my faves are redenvelope.com, uncommongoods.com, or whatever catalogs i get in the mail. i look through them and tear out pages that have good ideas on them and then head to their website to order--so easy. love you!

Britney said...

Hello my long lost friends!! (Britney Wood here!) I stumbled onto your blog from...some other link -- I'm not even sure how I got here, but I AM SO GLAD I DID!!! I see several of my favorite people have already been on here.

Amanda, you are amazing! I love your little girl's clothes! I am not the least bit surprised. I would love to chat with you. I'm not sure how to track you down other than on here, but I'll figure it out!

Amanda Neilson said...

Ladies we come from the same pod! Too bad we all live so far awaay so we can't commiserate over a nice cup of cocoa.

Britney- Hello hello!! Great to hear from you! Are you blogging yet? My e-mail is listed in my profile so we can chat!

Lizzy said...

you have great plans amanda! i totally understand the no handmade items thing. I always get hung up on those too. hope your xmas gets to be as stress free as you want.

Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails