Friday, January 11, 2008

The Re-Usable bag

I hope none of you are too offended when I say that I have never been into recycling. It's not that I don't care about the earth and our environment, it's just always seemed a little bit counterproductive. Let me explain...

I grew up in Southern California where "Water Conservation" was always the big message taught in our schools. (Considering the horrible run of wild fires there this past year, it is easy to see why lack of water stresses the locals.) Water is not a replenishable resource. You either have enough rain/snow/water- or you don't.

Now, as an adult, I'm being told that I need to save my bottles, cans, and jars for recycling. This is all fine and good, but I've also been informed that it takes an obscene amount of water to wash these said items in order to prepare them for reuse as something else. Does this worry anybody else out there? I can live without glass jars and soda bottles- but I can't live without water!

Hopefully I am ill informed, because as of next month I am required to recycle all said items by the local village government and if my trash collectors notice that I have not complied, (such as I try and slip a few cans of Dr. Pepper into my trash bags), they will refuse to collect it, and I may be fined! (Somehow I think this has got to go against the Constitution and my rights as an American citizen- but that's a whole other story.)

So this brings me (in a very round about way) to my point- reusable shopping bags. I swore I would never buy them and be one of "those" people, but I take it all back. I suckered up and bought a few the other day and guess what? They are awesome!! I could care less about the land-fills, (I know, I am a horrible person) but these bags are so sturdy, and they can hold a ton. No more rolling cans of peas and chicken soup all around my car- or the dreaded plastic handle that breaks under the strain of a gallon of milk.

At least in one area of my life I can claim that I am "going green,"-- even if it is for all the wrong reasons.

3 comments:

Beth said...

Amen, Amanda!

I look at those re-usable bags in disgust and have known I would never buy them precisely for your same reason: I didn't want to be one of "those" people. But, I could do it for all the "wrong" reasons which seem so right after all, right? Maybe I'll have to try them out. Thanks!

jenafeldman said...

Amen...I have always recycled, but I have recently read that it causes more harm to the environment to recycle water bottles than it does to recycle them! (at least in the short term) I am with you on the "trash" issue - I was ok doing it right up until I was told I HAVE too. I mean don't we pay enough property taxes to throw away what we want? (LOVE the bags too.

Laura B. said...

Yay! Another convert to the blessed green bags. I could care less about "going green" as I do about having nice, sturdy bags to transport my groceries!
Hooray!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails