Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"Kimball Wisdoms"

I had a conference with Kimball's Kindergarten teacher today so that she could tell me all about his progress and go over some of his work with me. She shared a particular experience she had with him last month.

The class was working on a project regarding their New Years Resolutions. Kimball wrote that he wanted to learn how to climb a coconut tree. Well, although she thought that was fun and original, she really wanted the kids to focus on something that they could actually practice and accomplish, and being that we live in the northeast (where coconut trees are not generally found), she thought he should try and come up with something else, and told him so.

He looked at her and shared some insight:

"Mrs. Lilien, I am a Mormon, which means I have free agency, and that means I can do whatever I want. And I want to learn how to climb a coconut tree."

I'm not sure that this was a good missionary moment for him or a bad one, and I've decided not to worry about it. I'm just glad that he's confident and willing to speak up and express himself and be who he is. You tell her darling boy of mine!

Keep practicing that "free agency, " ( And please only use it to do exactly everything your mother says. I know best!)

7 comments:

Beth said...

That is hilarious, I love it!

Erin said...

Amanda, this is Erin Linford (Ryan's wife.) I admit I have been a "lurker" on your blog since Christmas but this story was too funny to not comment. What a smart boy Kimball is! Too cute!

Amanda Neilson said...

Erin! It's so good to hear from you! Do you have a blog? Or- send me an email so I can get in touch

Amanda Neilson said...

Erin! It's so good to hear from you! Do you have a blog? Or- send me an email so I can get in touch

Becky said...

that is so funny - I love it! what great kids you have!

jenafeldman said...

That is so funny...I often wonder how often family home evening, and primary lessons are "shared" at school.

JRose said...

That is awesome Amanda!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails