Monday, May 26, 2008

The Good Life

Yesterday we spent the day in Massachusetts at a friends farm giving our kids a taste of the country life they are so far removed from. The kids ran in the fields and collected eggs hidden out in the tall grass, (eggs, you ask? Well, it was way too cold to have a good outdoor Easter Egg Hunt in March, when the Easter festivities called for it, so they postponed the affair until now.) they jumped on the trampoline, rode the tractor around and around, roasted s'mores, peeps and whatever else they could put on a stick over the big fire, chased a porcupine, and danced in the barn. It really was a day spent in the “good” life if you ask me, and it once again got me looking for ways to simplify, simplify, simplify! I look at my home and my life and think, "What can I eliminate?"

The school year hustle and bustle, with the lessons, homework, meetings and never ending carpools to here, there, and everywhere, wears on my soul. Some women love it, but if I thought I was capable of doing the home school thing I would seriously consider it. I love the summer when we can do what we want, when we want. I like to be about our own agenda of the library, the beach, the pool, the park, riding bikes, eating watermelon and reading books together on the lawn. That sounds like the good life right?

Unfortunately for us, while the rest of the country, (particularly the west coasters), are mere days away, or perhaps basking in summer already, we are here in Westchester plugging away until the end of June, because this crazy community, (which most of the year I really do love) thinks that long school days and endless lists of homework are the key to a future Harvard education, and ask any East Coast Suburbanite parent, and they will readily support how important an Ivy League Education is a key to ones future happiness!....... (whatever!).......

..........so, every now and then a day on the farm is just what we need to re-focus on what's important and of course- what is NOT!

With that in mind I will continue to throw out things we don't use, avoid signing my kids up for the endless list of unnecessary lessons, try each day to stop and "smell the roses" and last, but certainly not least, strive to get my basement and garage organized- (Personally, I think that will be a neccesity if I ever want to be at peace enough to access the good in the "good life." )

....or we could bag it all and follow our friends example and buy a farm. I could dump all our unused garage stuff in a nice big barn and call it good.

But, if we did, I would need to own some cows because goats milk is just plain weird!

Kimball's new summer do!

8 comments:

Lindsay said...

Let me just say this. If you wanted to homeschool, and really felt like it was the right thing for your family, of course you could do it!!! So if you would like to talk about homeschooling....let me know.

I do agree with you though about living a more simplified life. I believe in eliminating as much clutter from my life as possible both in stuff and activities.

holly said...

I am so ready for summer myself! My sister's kids get out this week, while we go until June 18! Yikes! That farm sounds so fun (all except the goats milk, of course)
BTW---I am involved in a baby shower in a few weeks. Any more details on how you made those cute edible arrangements? What candy did you use? It was so cute. What about other decor?

lisapow said...

The kids last day is tommorrow and it is FREEZING! Not sure what I am going to do with them on summer or is it winter? break

Nikki said...

Hey I found your blog through Andreas!! Glad to see that you guys are doing well and staying warm...I would gladly trade you the 100 degree awful humid weather we've got here in Texas! Hang in there, it'll get warmer!

Nikki said...

Hey I found your blog through Andreas!! Glad to see that you guys are doing well and staying warm...I would gladly trade you the 100 degree awful humid weather we've got here in Texas! Hang in there, it'll get warmer!

JRose said...

How fun! I cannot believe how big Tustin is! I remember the days of him being in my nursery class in SP...The kids are so darling!

I am really stoked about summer! Just to sleep in and minimal schedules! Wahoo! We are out on Thursday! Let the fun begin!

Lynita said...

Sounds like such a fun day! I love Kimballs new haircut, this is Ethan's second summer with a buzz cut. I hope that you can survive the last days of school and carpool.

Britney said...

Amanda, I know I'm commenting late for this post, but you CRACK ME UP!!!! I especially love the ending line -- "because goat's milk is just plain weird."

I miss you! Glad all is well!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails