Saturday, September 13, 2008

Kitchen- Steps 3 & 4

In our last kitchen update we still had our lovely sea-foam tile floor. After 6 hours of "I think I'm going to fall-over a die," hard labor with a a hammer and crowbar, I got it up. In all honesty it actually took about 8 hours, but the last two were accomplished by my friend's husband. (Marianne and Michael I will owe you forever!!) Stanton was conveniently on a business trip for this stage of the demolition and by the end of the day I was falling apart in tears, so Marianne made me shower and whisked me away while Michael stepped into watch the kids and finish hacking away at that wretched tile. Seriously, show me better friends....impossible!

So- after banishing the ceramic beast we were left with the vinyl floor/press board dragon. ( see above photo) Decorating in the 60's was especially lovely wasn't it? It took another 8 hours of that before mentioned self-torture to get it up ( including a few more hours help from the same great friends)

All I can say is I am so glad that I started a more serious weight-lifting routine this past month! In fact if you ever plan on doing a similar project- make sure you spend a few weeks in the gym doing a lot of dead-lifts. It will save you! I know it did me. Another thing that helped me was my constant mental soundtrack of,"She's a maniac, maniac on the floor!" ( If for some crazy reason you're not familiar with this classic song you can listen to it here.)

So now we are here with only the sub-floor: (which we have discovered is very poor quality and needs to be replaced as well. Of course....)

Last step to demo? Saying goodbye to the stove, sink and dishwasher. For the next month it is barbecue and paper products only- with a side of microwave meals from Trader Joe's( they have some good ones) and generous donations from good neighbors. :)

The adventure continues this week with electrical and plumbing work.

So much fun!

6 comments:

Danika said...

I just attended an Enrichment class on how you can cook EVERYTHING on your BBQ (she cooks cakes, stews, anything). My friend does it all summer long here to avoid heating up her house. If you want more info, email me. It sounds super easy and I am going to try it one of these days.

Wish I closer to help you guys!

Anne said...

holy cow---this is intense!

Rhettand Leslie said...

You are quite the blogger lately and I love it! You Are a "Maniac"! I am sooooo impressed!

lisapow said...

oh my gosh! After I saw how awful the floor was to pull up in our bathroom in NY...I vowed to never do something like that. Good work for sticking to it. Good thing you have good friends. How convenient for Stanton! Sounds like Stanton will have a lot of work cut out for him when the Schmidts get a house :)

Lynita said...

The crazy thing is that you have so much floor in that room too! I am amazed at your dedication and I think Stanton owes you a nice retreat when this is all over! Good luck!

Rachel said...

Wow! I hope the plummer came today! I can't wait to see the finished product! So sad that I didn't get to be part of the demolition.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails