Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Mess Begins- Yippee!!!

A skinny little doorway- finally nice and open!

Anyone who lives close enough to be in ear shot of me on a regular basis knows that for the last 5 years I have been slightly obsessed with the idea of redoing our kitchen. It's not terribly ugly- but it has a host of "unusual" ( translation: awful, gross and disastrous) elements to it. This is all due to some previous owners who, while ambitious, were not good with tools.

The often heard quote at our house, when referring to one of these said owners various home improvement projects is, "So Wong! So Wong!" (No, that is not mis-spelled- it is a direct quote from an Asian cable guy who came to our house for a ten minute job- which turned into a nightmare 3 hour experience in which he finally came to me with a bewildered and horrified expression and said, "This is all so wong,, soooo wong.") I still feel bad for that man. His was the inaugural visit that kicked off the many visits we have since had from electricians, plumbers, AC service men, contractors, phone service-men, pest control........ you name it, they have been here, and in one form or another have professed that same horrified phrase..."so wong!"

Anyway, above all the other "unusual" hidden elements of my home, the kitchen is the biggest thorn in my side. The floor sinks, the counters slope, the lights flicker, the tile is chipped with yucky grout that seems to get dirtier the more I clean it, and the list goes on and on....It is finally time to say adios to it all! Yippee!! Hallelujah!!

I can hardly wait. We are trying to do most of the work ourselves, and bring in various professionals where needed so that future home owners don't also bemoan any amateur details. If all goes according to schedule we should be done in about 6 weeks. My plan is to expect it to be a bad experience- and that way when the inevitable problems arise I won't be frustrated and disappointed.

Above is a picture of the first wall we removed. We'll start re-framing it in the next couple days. (Thanks due to a highly talented friend. Thanks so much Michael!! We owe you once again) Already I love the open feel from the family room into the kitchen. It's great!

My son once told me that my kitchen re-do was "like the Cold War. You talk and talk about it, but it never actually happens." At the time- his insight could not have been more correct. But, for lack of a better analogy, we are finally going to war! I hope we come out the victors!

10 comments:

Anne said...

what a fun project!! i hope it is not too painful. love you.

Erin said...

Woohoo! Congrats...and I'm SO jealous!

The story of the Asian man is absolutely hilarious!

Beth said...

Good luck!

lisapow said...

ohhh good luck! I hope it turns out exactly how you dream!

Lynita said...

You guys are going to have to fight the good fight (too soon?). I love the Cold War analogy... classic! Good luck and I can't wait to see the new and improved version!

Lindsay said...

I can imagine that living through a remodel is never easy so good luck! I am sure it will turn out beautifully.

Danika said...

Be sure to take (and post) lots of BEFORE & AFTER photos. I love those...

Good luck!

Rhettand Leslie said...

I can't believe you finally started! You should have got your own reality HGTV show for this:) Keep me posted on all the fun things to come. Love you

holly said...

Good luck to you...where would I even start? I'd have no idea how to do anything. I'm so excited to see the end result! :)

J and E said...

That's awesome! From our experience, 6 weeks will more likely be 12, but it is so nice to have done (I'm guessing.....we still have another "6 weeks" until we will be done). I'd love to see how it turns out!
-Edna

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails