Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Tess of the D'Urbervilles

I got sucked into Masterpiece Theatre Sunday night watching the first half of "Tess of the D'Urbervilles," based on a Thomas Hardy novel. I love it so far, but in an effort to find out a little more about what's going to happen in part two, I surfed the net.

What was I thinking!? Not only did this ruin the show for me, but it let me in on a terrible bit of news- this story does NOT end happy! I hate that!

Happy endings are imperative to me. I don't mind the heart wrenching stories as long as they end happy. Who wants to watch a show, invest oneself in the characters and grow to love them only to have them die? It's awful!!

I should have known better. After all- this is Thomas Hardy. I once spent four hours watching, "The Mayor of Casterbridge," based on another of his tales. I watched the entire thing waiting for it to get happy. It never did. Yuck!!

Now what do I do? Knowing I will have to suffer the major emotional let-down, do I watch it anyway?

I know I'm going to. I'm a sucker for punishment.

3 comments:

ZAC said...

This novel was my favorite in high school! I can't believe it now because it is very tragic...
But thanks for the heads up on the film. I'll have to check this out. Hardy is like Austen. His books have a very similar feel to them and TRAGEDY is inescapable!

Denise said...

Yeah sorry. I could have spared you the pain. Thomas Hardy does not write happy stuff. One of my final papers in colleges was on Jude the Obscure. Talk about a downer. You should turn your attention to Dickens.

Chelsa said...

Hey Amanda! Hope you had a great Christmas. I found your blog through Leslie's new blog. It's so fun to see pictures of your cute family. Hope everything is going well. Love ya, Chelsa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails