Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pregnancy Blues


I should NOT still be pregnant! Urgh!!!

I have been "nesting" for months on end, making lists upon lists of things that need to be done, and made or purchased around here before I'm ready for this baby, and now I have finished! I'm finally ready. My projects are completed. But- no baby.

I know this frustration is my own fault. All my previous children were born a week before their due dates- so naturally I decided this one would join us last week. No deal! No baby! I hate it when things don't go according to my plans! I am in a perpetual bad mood about this.

I have stopped answering my phone and have become a recluse. I do not want to have another conversation with a well-meaning friend or relative about how I am still with child! I know it is all well-intentioned- but it still doesn't make me feel any better! I am a walking, sitting, never comfortable, disgusted by my own reflection human-walrus and I hate hate hate it!!! (note- the above picture was taken over a month ago- because the picture taken of me today is not fit for human eyes. I have become scary!!)

So...... if you are wondering if I have given birth yet to this child-NO! I have not, and I am trying not to think about it! So- by all means call me- we can chat- but if you are a friend, you will not mention this baby, or this pregnancy, or anything child related. (Truly-it's probably safer just not to call at all. Seriously! I am losing it over here! The likely-hood that I will say something rude or ungracious to you is very high--- don't risk it.)

Call me in a week- hopefully I will be in a better place.

Deep Breath.......so I mentioned before, I have finally checked off a long list of to-do's around here. In the interest of "focusing on the good" brought by this pregnancy, I will share. ( please note, that I am lacking a good camera so the lighting in these pics is as good as it gets from me.)

First, being New York square-footage challenged we opened up the basement by 6 more feet to give us something along the lines of a family room. No matter how I tried- we couldn't squeeze another bathroom down there- so we are still making do with one, but all in all the extra play space is very nice.
We've gone from this:


To this:

It's still not large and I've yet to furnish it. Those decisions will take me awhile I'm sure, so I'm making do with the IKEA temporary fixes-- but I do love my carpet tiles! They are so fun! We also had the staircase to the basement redone, since our last one was a death trap. It makes such a difference!There is "no room in the inn" so to speak for this new baby boy of ours, but Laura is willing to share so I set to work on their new room last November. My first goal was to install wainscoting on the walls. I am a huge fan of my nail gun. It is a woman's best friend. My second goal was to find fabric that could work for both a boy and a girl. That took forever! Then I started sewing the bedding, crib bedding, window treatments etc... and then I put it all in the room and what did I get? A VERY girly room! Oh well. I tried! I really did! Girly just comes naturally for me. (We'll have to add another room somewhere onto this house in a couple years before our son develops gender issues.)


Stanton bought me a new Lazy-Boy, which I believe is a must for any nursing mom. I love it! And I made a new "boppy-pillow"- also a must have.
We repainted the dining room a light blue-grey color. I can't believe what a difference it makes in there. I love red rooms( it's previous color)- but have learned my lesson in regards to small houses- stick with light colors. The room looks so much bigger now.
I finished building the picture ledges for the upstairs hallway. My plan is to paint all the frames various light colors and make this my "family-history wall" full of black and white photos of ancestors to go along with our family tree. Now, I just have to track down all those pictures...
I finally chose tile for the back splash! Yippee!

I got out the nail gun again and built a ledge of hooks for the kids backpacks etc.. It's right smack in the kitchen- but it does the job. For those of you spoiled enough to have a mud room- I hope you appreciate it!We finally finished the built ins. After stripping and painting some base cabinets I got on Craig's List, and then building the shelves, I gave up and hired someone to do to moldings. I'm so glad I did! Miters have never been my strength.


I even finished sewing a new sassy diaper bag for myself!
Not pictured? We cleaned out the attic, layed a new plywood floor up there and reorganized it. I cleaned and reorganized the garage. I added a shelving system underneath the basement stairs to organize toys and games. I repainted the kitchen a color almost identical to the one it was before- but which makes my happier anyway. I installed more shelving in the boys' rooms and made them a giant fabric covered cork board. I made a new cover for the car seat and a bunch of burp cloths. I bought diapers, wipes, layette clothes, binkies, bottles, and just about everything else I could think of!

I have been a manic, crazy, project lady- but now I am done! I have finished all the manual labor and I'm ready!

So, please, please, please baby boy....Stop the torture. Come today!

9 comments:

Chelsa said...

You've been busy! I didn't even know you were pregnant. Good luck with the new little guy! I hope he gets here soon for your sake.

Erin said...

I can SO relate. My mother-in-law called me every day for two weeks before Clara was born. Once I passed my due date, I totally stopped answering my phone!

Good luck, and your house looks great!

Lindsay said...

I hope my nesting instinct kicks in with as much force as yours. I have lots of projects I want to finish but right now I am lacking time and energy. Good luck with delivery!

Britney said...

Oh. My. Word. You have been one busy lady!! My nesting has been only minimal b/c I am just too old and tired. I want things done, but I just don't have the energy!!! I have no idea how you have done all of that!

I am so excited for you to have this baby (sorry I mentioned it!) I feel your pain and I wish I was closer so I could send you for a pedicure to get your mind off of it.

I LOVE the dining room color -- so pretty. I also love how the baby's and Laura's room turned out. I am dying to see the fabric up close -- I know it's gorgeous.

Your talent never ceases to amaze me. (Did you have a pattern for that Boppy?) You need to come nest in my house. :)

Love you and wish you all the best. I can't wait for the update! :)

P.S. I think you look gorgeous -- as always! I'm about a month out and I definitely don't look as great as you in that photo! Mercy me.

Kelli said...

So fun to see your update! Good luck with that new baby boy! Your house and projects are super cute! I have completely forgotten how to be crafty so your post was really inspiring!

Anne said...

you are amazing! i can't believe everything you have done in your house...it all looks fantastic.

Denise said...

You are so clever and creative! All your projects look great. And I'm so glad WRN is finally here.

lisapow said...

Did you have the baby???

MsScreensiren said...

I had no idea that you were doing so much! Now I have to come over to gain inspiration from your home improvements!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails