Friday, April 08, 2011

Red Quilts Galore!

Last week some friends convinced me to get out of the house for a few hours so that I could join them at an amazing exhibit in the city. With my arsenal of baby gear, we ventured down to the Armory in Manhattan where they were displaying over 600 red and white quilts. It was spectacular! They had them suspended from the high ceiling in circular formations. I was in awe.

I used to spend a lot of time quilting when the boys were babies, but as they have gotten older my time for it has dwindled. This exhibit made me want to whip out the machine and some scraps and make the time. It was so inspiring. So many of them were hand-quilted with such detail!
The really interesting part of the exhibit is that all the quilts are "part" of one woman's collection. I have no idea where she stores all of them, but talk about a fetish! In the info pamphlet given out at the show it said she bought many of them back in the 50's at flea markets. They weren't considered valuable at the time and could be had for a mere 5 dollars! It made me wonder what fabulous treasure of tomorrow is being sold at the flea markets today for pennies.

I had to laugh when I looked at this picture of Warren and I because he is yawning! ( I think in his brain he must have been thinking, "Boring!" Definitely getting that attitude from his dad!)

1 comment:

Britney said...

SO Beautiful!!! (You and the quilts!)

I love that one you are standing in front of.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails